At the beginning of October, someone over at Facebook spilled their morning coffee on the ethernet cable, shutting down all their major services for six hours. Well, that’s not exactly how it went, but an error during routine maintenance did leave businesses without access to their Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp accounts. This unveiled a significant flaw in the marketing strategies of businesses that rely too heavily on social media, which is why COO Julia Becker Collins and Communications Manager Catrina Gardner hosted a webinar about the keys to successful marketing when social media is down.
What You’ll Learn About Marketing When Social Media is Down
We’ve discussed the importance of social medial marketing in previous Business Bootcamps, but what’s not recommended is placing all your eggs in one basket. Despite the ever-increasing evolution of social media, it is still technology, and technology experiences outages from time to time. That’s why you must diversify your marketing strategy to include other avenues of consumer engagement. In this webinar, COO Julia Becker Collins and Communications Manager Catrina Gardner will offer marketing guidance by talking about:
- Future-proofing your strategy with several streams of communication and backup plans
- Participating in and repurposing podcasts and taking advantage of their extended shelf life
- Discovering where your customers come from via apps like Google Analytics
- Claiming your company on review sites and taking ownership of the content
- Writing articles or conducting interviews for publication in news outlets
- Redirecting people to your website with as few clicks as possible
Layering your marketing online is especially important in the age of COVID, where in-person marketing opportunities are far less common.
Business Bootcamp: What Do You Do When Social Media Isn’t Working?
Enjoy the video below or watch it on Facebook. We also have a growing catalog of informative webinars covering other topics on our Facebook Page, including social-media-based discussions like Tracking New Social Media Trends and Finding Sense in Social Media. If you have any questions or opinions, leave a comment – we’re always excited to hear from our audience!
Further Reading on Diverse Marketing Strategies
To find more information about developing and layering your marketing strategy and finding different streams of communication with your audience, check out our blogs. Here are a few posts you might find helpful:
- BBB Event: Making the Most of Your Marketing Strategy
- Business Bootcamp: Measuring Success with Marketing Strategies
- Can I Even Write a Blog About My Industry?
- Is It a Marketing Problem or a Website Problem? 3 Ways to Tell
- Marketing Hacks to Convert Your Side Hustle into Your Main Hustle
- What Kind of Marketing Can Replace Cold Calling?
Learning the keys to marketing when social media is down can help you maintain communication with your audience. While outages are rare, diversifying your marketing strategy can prevent any of the lingering effects of going silent for a day. At Vision Advertising, we understand the importance of a layered marketing approach, and we can take care of everything from managing your social media to performing photography services and website development. If you need help bringing some variety to your marketing plan, contact us today.