Hey all! Alex from Vision Advertising here. This blog is a foreword for working at Vision, either as a potential hire, intern, or new employee. It should give you some idea of the kind of workplace Vision Advertising is, with a brief rundown of the culture, atmosphere, and expectations we have. Note that this blog is written in 2018: currently, we’re growing significantly, so some things may differ down the line. Hopefully, I’m still around then to update this blog.
Company History, Company Culture
Vision Advertising is a digital marketing agency: we primarily focus on online and inbound marketing. This means services like website design, social media management, and SEO and blogs are our bread and butter, with many other services including traditional public relations, photography, and event marketing. Now let’s turn the clock back.
Almost Two Decades in the Industry
In 1999, Laura DiBenedetto (AKA our CEO) found Vision Advertising primarily around website design and development in the awkward puberty years of the internet. In the last 19 years, the company has grown to encompass social media, blogs, PPC advertising, signage, and collateral… everything under the marketing umbrella and then some. Staff sizes have increased, and we’ve moved locations once.
Women-Owned and Operated
Through this time, the management (CEO, Directors, and Vice Presidents) have been primarily female, with the staff being somewhere between completely female to gender balanced. We are very proud of this fact, and it’s part of our ethos for both hiring staff and selecting clients.
How We Work (and Play)
Okay, so let’s get to the day-to-day stuff you’re really interested in. While your jobs may vary significantly, you’ll get to enjoy all the perks (well, some people may not see puns as a perk).
- An Open Office: Vision’s current office, located in a historic building on Cedar Street in Worcester, has an open office design with no cubical farms and windows for all.
- Yoga Pants and Dad Jokes: Office dress code is light, though it’s recommended to have something more “business casual” if clients are in today. Bad jokes are a communal effort.
- On the Road to Clients and Events: Expect to get out of the office occasionally to meet with clients and attend their events in Worcester and Boston.
- Working Where You Want To: Laptops are the computer of choice at the office. We’ve got standing desk room and seating outside to work from. Occasionally people work from home.
- Putting the “Weeeee!” in Wheel: We have the “Unnamed Wheel of Prizes” and fun money as a reward system, with prizes ranging from free coffee to lunch for the team.
Small Business: Wearing Many Hats
We’re (currently) a small business of under ten people, so expect that in addition to your regularly work, you might be moonlighting in several other fields as well. You may also be called upon to help assist others, troubleshoot issues, answer the office phone, feed fish, eat candy, sit in on client meetings, listen to my bad jokes, and much more. Expect to gain experience outside of your field.
And that about covers it. I think you’ll like the more relaxed, earnest, and transparent style of management and work, and we’ve all got our own energy and humor that makes working together easy. Learn more about our current staff on our About Us page. If you’re interested in working for Vision, check out our Join Our Team page with current job openings (as of this publish date, we’re currently hiring for a Public Relations Strategist). If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us from our Contact Us page. We hope to hear from you soon, and see you at the office!